Along with vacations, summer brings storms and fireworks. While these things may be fun for us, our companion animals might find them annoying at best and absolutely terrifying at worst. Here are some products and techniques that may lesson their anxiety and keep them as relaxed as possible when things go boom.
For those of you already using homeopathic remedies prescribed by Dr. Jody, please contact Dr. Jody or Hope before giving your pet any type of supplement to confirm that it will not interfere with the remedy.
- Rescue Remedy: A liquid that can be given orally or rubbed on the ears. A locally made brand is available at Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Catz if you’re in the Madison, WI area.
- Anxiety TFLN: Another liquid that is given orally shortly before a storm or other stressful event, such as holiday fireworks. Available at Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Catz.
- Bach Flower Essence: A liquid that can be given orally or rubbed on the ears. A custom blend can be made specifically for your pet at Quintessence at 334 W. Lakeside Street, Madison. Call (608) 251-6915 for more details.
- Pet Releaf Treats: Treats that contain CBD or Cannabidiol. Available online or at Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Catz. Please note that homeopathy patients should not use these products. Please consult with Dr. Jody for other options.
- Pet Naturals Dog Calming Treats: A calming supplement designed to support relaxation. The ingredients support calm behavior without sedation or personality changes. Available online and at Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Catz.
- DAP Spray or Diffuser: A synthetic version of a natural canine appeasing pheromone. The spray can be used on blankets or in a crate. The diffuser is best to address longer term anxieties. Available online or at Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Catz.
- Through A Dogs Ear: Play calming music for your dog. This compilation is designed to appeal to dogs and is available online through iTunes and other streaming platforms.
- Thundershirt: A jacket your dog wears that applies pressure to their bodies, helping them to relax. This does require counter-conditioning; contact Hope in the office and she’ll be happy to walk you through the process. Available online or at Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Catz.
- Homeopathic Consult with Dr. Jody Bearman. Contact AnShen at 608-333-7811 or email us at email@example.com
- Hands On Treatments can demonstrated by Dr. Jody Bearman: T-Touch, acupressure, a Chinese massage technique that helps with parasympathetic stimulation and applied kinesiology.
Word of Caution
You may encounter veterinarians who want to prescribe Acepromazine, commonly referred to as ACE; we strongly suggest that any phobia, anxiety, or sound sensitivity not be treated with Acepromazine. A video providing a brief description of Acepromazine and its effects can be found here.